Monday, April 12, 2010

Physical Education Health Classes

I am currently a Junior at Slippery Rock University my major is Physical and Health Education. I enjoy the major very much but there is one thing that upsets me. We are going to be certified in health along with Physical Education. We only have to take three health classes within the mojor and I feel that is not enough. I am nervous about teaching Health once I graduate. I think the department should highly consisder having more health classes! Hopefully in the future the department will change there layout and have a couple more Health classes.

8 comments:

  1. That is very true. The Health classes that are given here at SRU are good Health classes with good teachers, but you can only obtain so much information from each class. Having more Health classes or even a class where we would have to shadow a health teacher would be nice. Health is a topic where they can be many answers to one question depending on who you are asking because health issues change everyday. We find something new out about medicines and health issues all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbey, I completely agree with you. I also think the health classes we do have are very good with excellent professors. I feel I will not be as prepared for health as I am physical education. Also, I heard we only teach once in each class. In physical education we teach numerous times! I would like to learn different ways to teach my students and fun activities to make health very entertaining. Hopefully, after we take the second and third health we feel more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way! Health is such a broad topic and encompasses so much information. I find it hard to believe that we are totally prepared to teach health by only taking 3 classes for it. There is a difference between teaching in the gymnasium setting and a classroom setting. I think we need more than one class to learn how to teach effectively in a classroom. We get so many chances in all of the PE classes and we should get just as many in health. I am nervous about student teaching for health too, but hopefully we will learn a lot in student teaching to help us be better teachers when we get out into the professional world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abbey, I completely agree with you! I think Health has so much information, and it is so important to teach correctly to our students because it can impact our students greatly. I would like just a class on nutrition even. I think they should take classes out like Striking and Fielding because most of us know how baseball works and could probably teach it. I say replace some of the activity classes and replace them with some health classes such as nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean. I am doing fine in the class but i don't get A's on every test and forget the content as soon as i take it. I feel like i will not be ready to teach health someday. I am in health foundations and it is just a lecture class. i don't agree with this because you don't even have to come and you can still pass the class. i don't think that we are going to be ready to actualy teach a classroom of kids about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abbey I think you are right. Health is a lot of information and can be very nerve-racking to teach. The only bad thing with taking more health classes is that we already have so many credits to begin with. I do think we should have some more health classes though to prepare us to teach it. I usually don't remember the stuff I learned in health the next semester, so when it comes time for me to teach it I am going to have to reteach myself all the information. I think this is a great point you made about physical education teachers taking more health classes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also agree with this. I feel that this is a major flaw with the curriculum of SRU. Many students are going to have to reteach themselves health on the go while in the classroom. Maybe instead of having as many activity classes as we have, which do seem repetitive, the phys ed department adds in another health class in order to better prep us for our future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that there should be more health classes. PE is more than just physical activity. We should be teaching our students about living a healthy lifestyle, and that includes health. I am surprised we don't have a nutrition class. We are going to be constantly reminding our students about watching what they eat and eating healthy, but our we prepared to tell them what healthy is?

    ReplyDelete